If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In college, my roommate Christina and I would head over to The Whig (Columbia’s subterranean college town bar crawling with hipsters before there were hipsters) and drink Brooklyn Brown Beer, Guinness, and Blue Moon while eating delicious TACOS. Taco Tuesdays were a staple at The Whig where over-worked bartenders manned both drinks and tacos pumping them out every minute at 50-cents a piece. They were simple, delicious, and perfect for our college student budget. Of course, we’d start with 2…but we’d always end up ordering 4. Where else can you eat 4 tacos for $2?
Today, I make tacos with a bit of a gourmet edge swapping out ground meat for fresh tilapia, iceberg lettuce for purple cabbage and cilantro, and salsa for my own homemade combination of freshly chopped tomatoes, onions, and more. Dressed with avocado, jalapeño, and served with a side of chips, these tacos are a fresher take on a college favorite. - Helana Brigman
Makes 8-10 tacos
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tablespoon Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pound Tilapia Fillets (fresh if available)
- Olive Oil, for greasing pan
- 8-10 Flour Tortillas
- 1 Avocado, cubed
- 2-3 Limes, cut into wedges
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped fine
- 1/2 Onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup Red Cabbage, shredded
- Sour Cream
- In an oversized bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, salt, and pepper. Toss mixture with one tilapia fillet at a time and set aside.
- Warm a non-stick skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add tilapia to pan (do not overcrowd) and pan roast until bottom is gold and crispy (about 5 minutes). Flip fish and cook until gold and crispy (about 3 minutes).
- Warm flour tortillas in skillet with non-stick spray and any remaining oil from fish. Toast on each side (about 30 seconds) until warm and golden. Transfer to taco bar.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.