Author Notes: This richly flavored mushroom mayo adds great depth to simple ingredients- from grilled chicken to hard boiled eggs (or tea eggs, even better!) to crudite. Here I have folded it into a simple salad of rotisserie chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and crunchy cucumber. It seems subtle at first, but, like truffles, you really sense them through smell as you eat. I like mine light on the mayo, but you can certainly increase the ratio if you like it more saucy. - savorthis
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitakes
- 2 teaspoons soy
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 thyme sprig
- olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced, seeded cucumber
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat oven to 400, toss sweet potatoes in 2 T olive oil with salt, pepper and thyme sprig. Roast about 10 minutes until browned and tender, stirring once halfway through. Let cool slightly.
- Grind shiitakes in a coffee grinder to a fine powder. Mix 4 T with mayo, soy and lemon. You might have some leftover mushroom powder which can be stored in an airtight container.
- Toss chicken, sweet potatoes and cucumber then gently fold in mushroom mayo. Serve with lettuce cups, crackers or on toasty bread and a grind of fresh pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad