Author Notes: Cottage Pie is a lovely traditional British Pub dish- but my recipe is with a couple of twists: I've used Quorn mince instead of the traditional beef (to make it vegetarian friendly!) and added a few spices to pack in some lovely flavours! Complete comfort food! - Chef_Mel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Large White Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 packet Quorn mince (or 12 ounces any veggie mince)
- 1 x 14 ounce tin of tomatoes
- 1 x 14 ounce tin of kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- In a saucepan sauté the onions, and garlic in olive oil, covered for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and smoked paprika and cook (uncovered) for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add all other mince ingredients and cook for 35 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft enough to mash (takes about 20 minutes). Drain and mash the potatoes. Mix in the butter and double cream.
- Adjust seasoning (salt, pepper and sugar to taste) on the mince and mash. Pour the mince into a large baking dish. Spoon and smooth the mash over the mince. Top with grated cheddar.
- Put a grill onto a high heat. Put the pie under the grill until the topping is melted and golden. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food