If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cottage Pie is a lovely traditional British Pub dish- but my recipe is with a couple of twists: I've used Quorn mince instead of the traditional beef (to make it vegetarian friendly!) and added a few spices to pack in some lovely flavours! Complete comfort food! - Chef_Mel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Large White Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup White wine
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 packet Quorn mince (or 12 ounces any veggie mince)
- 1 x 14 ounces tin of tomatoes
- 1 x 14 ounces tin of kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon single cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- In a saucepan sauté the onions, and garlic in olive oil, covered for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and smoked paprika and cook (uncovered) for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add all other mince ingredients and cook for 35 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft enough to mash (takes about 20 minutes). Drain and mash the potatoes. Mix in the butter and double cream.
- Adjust seasoning (salt, pepper and sugar to taste) on the mince and mash. Pour the mince into a large baking dish. Spoon and smooth the mash over the mince. Top with grated cheddar.
- Put a grill onto a high heat. Put the pie under the grill until the topping is melted and golden. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food