If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this summer has been the summer of the taco. i've made carnitas, chicken tacos, roasted veggie tacos and more, i finally decided it was time to tackle the fish taco. on a night that felt like a hurricane was hitting it seemed appropriate to make them. i took inspiration from a tasting table recipe i had and from there the perfect fish taco emerged. - amourfou(d)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3 peppadew peppers
- 2 teaspoons chives (or one scallion thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound tilapia or or other mild white fish, each fillet sliced into 3 inch long pieces (I got about 10 pieces out it!)
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 6 tortillas
- cilantro and avocado for serving
- Make the tartar sauce: In a medium bowl, stir together the mayo, yogurt (or sour cream), peppadew peppers, chives (or scallions), cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cover the bowl and refrigerate.
- Make the tacos: In a medium bowl stir together the panko, cornmeal, cayenne, salt, and pepper. In another medium bowl squeeze half of the lime. Dip each piece of fish into the lime juice and them dip the fish into the panko mixture, pressing the mixture firmly onto both sides of the fish. Place dredged fish pieces on a plate.
- In a medium non stick skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot after about 1 – 1 ½ minutes, add half the fish pieces. Reduce the heat to medium and fry on both sides until golden brown about 4 - 5 minutes total. Use a spatula or tongs, transfer the fish to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- On a warmed tortilla spread some tartar sauce. Top the tartar sauce covered tortilla with 1-2 pieces of fish (depending on the size of the piece of fish. Add sliced avocado, a few cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.