If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
For the spice mix
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the chicken
- 6 to 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 yellow onions, julienned about 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup green bell peppers, julienned
- 3/4 cup celery, julienned
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Combine all the spice ingredients in a small bowl. Season the chicken thighs on all sides with salt and then with the spice mixture. You may or may not have extra spice depending on how heavy your hand is and whether or not you season 6 or 8 thighs.
- Place a heavy, large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add enough oil to the pan to easily coat the bottom completely. When it is hot add the thighs skin side down and brown them deeply. Once they are brown do the same to the other side.
- Remove the thighs to a plate. Add the onions, bell pepper and celery to the pan. Season them with salt and pepper. If the pan is to hot turn down the heat and cook down the vegetables until they are brown and soft. Add the flour and sauté everything for a bit longer to cook out the flour flavor.
- Add the garlic cloves and give the veggies a stir. Add the chicken thighs back to the pan and add enough water to cover the thighs by three quarters. The crispy tops should just be peeking out of the gravy. Add all but a tablespoon of the green onions to the sauce.
- When the gravy comes to a boil reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, this should take about thirty minutes. Season the gravy, stir and taste.
- If the gravy is reducing to fast and getting to thick add more water and stir.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.