Author Notes: This simple syrup was inspired by (3) things, (1) a need to increase water consumption and (2) an attempt to duplicate a commercial fruit infused water that I enjoy. Buying this "designer" water was getting prohibitively expensive based on the amount I was consuming. (I live in the Sonoran Desert of AZ), (3) A need for a non-alcoholic beverage to serve at a summer family gathering. Alcohol may be added, if desired for adults, but my "punch' was infused with this simple fruit flavored syrup. Any fruit can be used, but I had some lovely local peaches and a bumper crop of basil I wanted to devote to something other than pesto. So...this was born. I add about 2-1/2 teaspoons of the syrup to a glass of plain filtered water, add ice, and enjoy! - J.B.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 large fresh blushing peach, peeled, chunked
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups tap or filtered water
- 1/4 large vanilla bean
- Pour the water Into a small saucepan, adding all of the above ingredients, then simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until the peaches are soft and the liquid takes on a blushing pink color.
- Discard the basil stalk, strain off the peach chunks, (eat 'em, or save 'em for later) and store in a 2 cup glass jar for further use.
- About 2-1/2 teaspoons of the syrup can be added to an 8 ounce glass of filtered or even fizzy water, topped with ice and sipped, knowing you are getting your water requirement for the day, w/o consuming something heavy and sugary. Enjoy!
- The simple syrup can be used to flavor a glass of icy tea, perhaps vanilla flavored tea for an extra flavor punch!