If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple syrup was inspired by (3) things, (1) a need to increase water consumption and (2) an attempt to duplicate an enjoyable commercial fruit infused water. Buying this "designer" water was getting prohibitively expensive based on the amount I was consuming. (I live in the Sonoran Desert of AZ), (3) A need for a non-alcoholic beverage to serve at a summer family gathering. Alcohol may be added, if desired for adults, but my "punch' was infused with this simple fruit flavored syrup. Any fruit can be used, but I had some lovely local peaches and a bumper crop of basil I wanted to devote to something other than pesto. So...this was born. I add about 2-1/2 teaspoons of the syrup to a glass of plain filtered water, add ice, and enjoy! - J.B.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 large fresh blushing peach, peeled, chunked
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups tap or filtered water
- 1/4 large vanilla bean
- Pour the water Into a small saucepan, add all of the above ingredients, then simmer for about 5-7 minutes or until the peaches are soft and the liquid takes on a blushing pink color.
- Discard the basil stalk, strain off the peach chunks, (eat 'em, or save 'em for later) and store in a 2 cup glass jar for further use.
- About 2-1/2 teaspoons of the syrup can be added to an 8 ounce glass of filtered or even fizzy water, topped with ice and sipped, blissfully aware that you are getting your hydration requirement for the day, w/o a heavy, sugary overload. Enjoy!
- The simple syrup can be used to flavor a glass of icy tea, perhaps vanilla flavored tea for an extra flavor punch!
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.