If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When living abroad in Japan, I had the opportunity to indulge in all things soy! One of my most unforgettable food experiences was traveling through Kyoto where I got to try the most unreal soy milk flavored ice cream. This was not the dairy-free variety of "alternative" ice creams we see in the store, but genuine sweet and creamy ice cream packed with a clean soy milk flavor. My version has a lower sugar and cream to liquid ratio than the typical homemade ice cream so it freezes up a bit harder, but this helps to allow the soy flavor to shine. This recipe is designed for a thicker higher-quality soy milk from an asian grocery store (one made in-house or bottled nearby) or one that is homemade. My experience with trying to use the mass-produced boxed soy-milk have turned out tasteless results. - hoop
Makes 2 pints
- 1 3/4 cups high-quality soy milk (see note above)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- pinches salt
- Combine soy milk, heavy cream, 7 T sugar, and salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the milk to cool, beat the egg yolk and 2 T sugar until well combined.
- Slowly ladle about half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk while whisking constantly.
- Return the milk-egg mixture back to the remaining half in the sauce pan and heat to 180-185F, stirring constantly.
- Cool the milk below 40F using either an ice bath or by letting it sit the refrigerator for several hours (only put in the refrigerator after allowing to cooling to room temperature first). The colder start temperature allows the ice cream to freeze faster, minimizes iciness.
- Churn in ice cream maker until the consistency of soft-serve.
- Transfer to a lidded container, but press plastic wrap against the surface before placing the lid on.
- Place in the freezer to firm up for at least an hour.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.