Author Notes: This is one of my favorite sorbets to make in the summer once strawberries hit the farmers market. I love how this sorbet locks in the sweetness and fragrance of the strawberries. To add a special touch, I add a teaspoon or two of my grandmother's home-made sour cherry liquor. If you don't have my grandmother's cherry liquor, then I recommend using kirsch or another cherry liquor. - roxi365
Makes about 3 cups
- 1 pound strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and chopped in half
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon cherry liquor or kirsch
- pinch salt
- Wash and hull strawberries and cut them in half or into fourths, depending on their size. Toss them in a bowl with the sugar and sour cherry liquor. Stir until sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand for about an hour, either at room temperature or refrigerated.
- Puree strawberry mixture with lemon juice and salt in a blender until smooth. Chill the mixture, then freeze in your ice cream maker.
- Drizzle with a little bit of the cherry liquor just before serving if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream