If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite ice creams ever. It is perfectly smooth and creamy, tasting like a summer day with no obligations, no deadlines, nothing to do but stroll through green fields, lie on a beach or get lost in a book.This recipe is based on David Lebovitz's vanilla ice cream recipe. For the raspberry, I use raspberry jam or preserves. Make sure it is seedless, or press the jam through a strainer to remove the seeds. - Anna Be
Makes about 1 quart
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces raspberry jam, seeds removed
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, preferably bittersweet
- Whisk together the egg yolks in a bowl. Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the milk is hot and sugar dissolved, lower the heat.
- Pour some of the heated milk into the eggs and whisk them together. Pour the eggs into the saucepan of milk and cook, still over low heat, stirring with a (heat proof) spatula to scrape the bottom and allow everything to cook evenly. Continue to stir until the custard thickens. When it thickens enough to coat the spatula, it is ready.
- Pour the custard through a strainer a bowl and add the cream and jam. Whisk together until it is smooth. Refrigerate until completely chilled, overnight if possible.
- While the custard is chilling, make the chocolate chips. Melt the chocolate and spread it over a parchment lined baking sheet. Let the chocolate cool until solid. You can put it freezer it which will make it really easy to break into chips which will be cold when you mix it into the ice cream.
- When the custard is cold, freeze it in your ice cream maker. Before storing the ice cream in the freezer, stir in the chips. Freeze until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
Soda Gum Drops!
The Best Cinnamon Rolls