If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's a hug, in ice cream form! The warm flavors of saffron and maple syrup wrap around your tastebuds and then comes a kiss of salty, sweet honey roasted sunflower seeds. Finish the ice cream with a drizzle of maple syrup and extra honey roasted sunflower seeds and you have a unique, sweet sundae! —The Wholesome Home
Makes about 2 pints
Ice cream base
- 16 ounces organic heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups organic whole milk
- 1/4 organic granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1 T maple sugar
- 1 T + 1 t tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 5 threads saffron
Honey roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- -add the milk and cream in a medium size sauce pan.
- -on medium/high heat gently boil them together.
- -add the sugars and stir until dissolved.
- -continue to gently boil to reduce the liquid mixture by at least a 1/4. *this will foam quite a bit so do yourself a favor and take a set at the stove, or else you will be cleaning a burnt on, milky mess.
- -add the maple syrup, saffron, vanilla bean paste and salt, stir and turn off the heat.
- -cover the cream and let all the ingredients steep for at least one hour.
- -strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer and add back into the pot.
- -add the reserved (cold) milk to the tapioca starch and mix with your clean fingers until it dissolves and add to the cream.
- -stir until it thickens, about 3 minutes.
- -store in a lidded container and refrigerate over night. This is necessary so it is completely cool.
- -prepare your ice cream maker according to the manufactures directions, ie freeze the container.
- -add the cold custard to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturers directions. It took me about 20 minutes. Once the ice cream is finished you can fold in the honey roasted sunflower seeds and store in a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2-3 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream