Author Notes: This was my very first attempt at making ice cream with a base prepared first and I followed Jeni's recipe almost word for word. I was surprised at how easy it was to prepare! I wanted this ice cream to be wildly aromatic and full of flavor and the orange blossom water and roasted pistachios combination totally fit the bill. Try it sometime! - Madhuja
Makes 1 pint
Ice cream base
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 3/4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 5/8 cups heavy cream (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- In a small bowl, mix the corn starch with 1 tbsp of whole milk. Set aside. In another medium sized glass bowl, whisk the salt and cream cheese together. Set aside. In a big bowl, make an ice bath with lots of ice. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the rest of the milk, heavy cream, white sugar and light corn syrup. Bring to a boil and remember to stir constantly! Let it boil for 4 minutes and then switch off the heat and add the corn starch slurry, whisking constantly.
- Transfer the hot milk and cream mixture to the cream cheese mixture, adding a little at a time and whisking thoroughly to get rid of any lumps. Once the mixture is completely smooth, nestle the glass bowl in the ice-bath and let it get cold.
- Pour the cold mixture into the ice cream machine and let it run for 25 minutes.
Orange blossom pistachio paste
- 1 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Roast the pistachios in a small skillet on medium heat for a few minutes, until very aromatic. Don't let them burn!
- Add 1 cup of roasted pistachios to the food processor (save the rest for garnish) and blitz until it resembles wet (green) sand. Add the honey, orange blossom water and salt and blitz again until it makes a smooth paste. Chill the mixture until the ice cream has churned in the machine for 25 minutes.
- Add the paste to the ice cream and churn for another 5 minutes. Make sure that the paste has distributed throughout the ice cream. Transfer to an airtight container and cover the surface with cling wrap. Let it ripen in the fridge over night.
- To serve, let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 5 minutes and then garnish with the remainder of roasted pistachios. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream