If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Summer corn is still available at farmer's markets. Save a couple of ears of corn for this recipe, you will not regret it. The subtle sweetness from the corn pairs wonderfully with vanilla bean.
Makes about 2 pints
- 6 extra large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light yellow in color, set aside.
- Cut the kernels off the cob. Cut each cob into pieces so that they fit in your saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise in half. Scrape the seeds with a knife and place them in the saucepan. Add the heavy cream, and milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Turn heat off, cover, and let the mixture sit for 20 minutes. Remove the cobs and vanilla bean. Rinse and dry the vanilla bean and reserve for another use. Place the corn/milk mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture back in the pan and bring to a simmer. Start by adding 1 cup of the milk mixture from the pan into the bowl with egg/sugar mixture whisking well. Continue adding the warm corn/milk mixture into the egg mixture in 1 cup increments until all the warm milk mixture has been added. You can eyeball this; it does not need to be exact.
- Return all the mixture to the saucepan. Cook on medium heat, constantly stirring with a heat-proof spatula until the mixture thickens slightly. If you have an instant read thermometer it should reach 175°F.
- Pour the custard through a mesh strainer and refrigerate 24-48 hours.
- Pour the custard into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze 4 hours or overnight before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).