If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to submit this recipe for the Best Ice Cream Contest because it's so darn delishy, but alas procrastination got the best of me.
The recipe came about because my favorite grocery store had almost over ripe quarts of strawberries on the 99 cent pile and ice cream is one of the easiest ways to use up strawberries before they go bad. Also the boyfriend was complaining about not having anything sweet in the house, I guess he forgot about the 487 loafs of zucchini bread in the freezer....
Adapted from the Strawberry Ice Cream recipe in The Gift of Southern Cooking by Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock —Totes Delishy
Makes 3 quarts
- 1 quart strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups whole milk
- 1.5 heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- .5 teaspoons salt
- Cook sliced strawberries with 3 teaspoons of the sugar in a saucepan on medium heat until strawberries release some of their moisture and soften.
- Add milk, cream and thyme to saucepan of strawberries and heat until simmering. Meanwhile whisk egg yolks with remaining sugar until evenly combined. Once the mixture is simmering, remove the thyme.
- Slowly pour hot milk and cream mixture into yolks and sugar, whisking constantly to temper the egg yolks. We won't be straining the ice cream so you want to do this very carefully, pouring about 1/2 a cup of liquid at a time and making sure the yolks and sugar are evenly distributed before you add more liquid.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook slowly over medium low heat, while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. This should take 8 or 10 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt.
- Chill ice cream base in refrigerator until very cold. Freeze in ice cream maker, following manufacturer's instructions.
Welcome to the Winner's Circle
Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
Welcome to the winner's circle.
Recipe of the Day
Your poolside essentials.
Dessert before dinner.