If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is a marvel! It’s cheap and easy to make, it’s nutritious and tasty and you can eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anytime at all. Make a large batch and eat some right away, put some in the frig for later in the week, and freeze some to eat a couple weeks down the road. You can make several different soups from this basic recipe by adding pasta, Escarole, or sausage. Eat it with a salad as a starter and some good bread and you have a com-plete tasty meal.
This recipe along with other wonderful Italian recipes can be found in my book "La Tavola"
Italian-American New Yorkers Adventures of The Table .... Daniel Bellino Zwicke
- 16 ounces Dry Lentils
- 6 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 whole Onions cut in medium dice
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and dice
- 5 Carrots, peeled and cut in medium dice
- 4 stalks Celery, washed and cut in medium dice
- 2 Idaho Potatoes, peeled & cut in medium dice
- 1/2 cup Pancetta, or Bacon diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomato, canned or fresh
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Add Bacon or Pancetta to a large pot. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to render fat. Drain off all fat and leave Pancetta in pot.
- Add olive oil to pot, along with Garlic and onions. Saute over low heat for 6 minutes. Season with salt & Pepper to taste. Add Carrots and continue cooking for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add Lentil that have been washed with cold water. Add Chicken Broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and let cook for about 40 minutes until the lentils are tender but still have a slight bite.
- Serve. Add to soup bowl with a dash of olive oil. You can add some cooked short pasta like Ditalini or other. Sprinkle with Parmigiano and enjoy
Break the Code
Colors are key to kitchen glory.
Color code your kitchen.
Recipe of the Day
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.