If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my father-in-law’s girlfriend, Mary -- an ice cream sandwich is one of her go-to evening snacks. Mary toasts two slices of whole wheat bread, and, while the bread’s still warm, smushes a scoop of chocolate ice cream between the slices. Et voila, an instant ice cream sandwich that's the rag-tag cousin of pain au chocolat. Mary insists the whole wheat bread makes it healthy. I like Mary. —Amanda Hesser
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices of your favorite whole wheat bread
- 4 large scoops of your favorite chocolate ice cream
- We all know this isn't much of a recipe, but for the sake of getting this combination on record, here goes!
- Use a 3-inch cookie cutter to cut a circle from each slice of bread. (Save the bread "frames" for making Toad in the Hole.) Set out your ice cream. While it warms up enough to scoop, toast the bread circles. Place a scoop of ice cream between two warm toast circles. Smush like a panini. When the ice cream squeezes out to the edges, it's ready to hand off to a hungry guest. Repeat with the remaining toast circles!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!