If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've never enjoyed fruitcake, but my Dad likes it so much, he'll even eat the cheap stuff usually found near the checkout at the drug store! I thought he'd like one as a gift, so I adapted the recipe for Coconut and Lime's triple ginger cranberry sauce bread and added a ton more stuff, including dried fruit and spices. The result was so tasty, that even I don't mind a slice during the holidays. —theminx
- 1.5 cups assorted dried fruits (chopped apricots or figs, cherries, pineapple, blueberries, raisins, candied ginger, cranberries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped candied orange rind
- 1/4 cup green or red fruitcake cherries (optional)
- 1 cup assorted roasted unsalted nuts (cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, filberts)
- Put dried fruit in a microwave-safe bowl and pour over the rum. Stir well, cover with plastic wrap, and nuke on high for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with release spray and set aside. Combine the first five ingredients in the bowl of a mixer (or use a hand mixer) and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and spices. Add the macerated fruit (plus the rum) and nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- With the fruitcake still in the loaf pan, poke holes in it with a toothpick. Pour over about 1/4 cup booze of your choice (rum is nice). Allow to soak in. Add another 1/4 cup or so after the cake has cooled a bit. When cake is completely cool, remove from loaf pans and wrap tightly in foil.
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.