If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: My Grandma Mable made this for my birthday last year. The cake is chocolately, but not too intense - that's what the icing is for. This makes a 13x18 cake, so it's great for bringing to an event where dessert might be lacking. It's great with strawberries on the side. I got this recipe from my grandmother though I've tweaked it a bit to include "healthier" aspects, such as yogurt instead of sour cream, honey instead of corn syrup, and a touch of whole wheat flour. - Gibson2011
Makes one 13x18 cake
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, room temp
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 2 egg yolks, room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil (can use some unsweetened applesauce in place of some of the oil)
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix yogurt, eggs, yolks, and vanilla.
- In a saucepan, combine the semisweet chocolate, oil and/or applesauce, water, cocoa, and butter. Cook over medium-low heat till you get a smooth rich sauce. Pour into large bowl that you'll eventually mix all ingredients into.
- Whisk dry ingredients into hot chocolate mixture- don't over mix. Then, whisk in the egg mixture until no lumps remain.
- Pour batter into a greased 13x18 baking sheet and bake for 18-20 till tester comes out clean. If your oven has hot spots, you may want to rotate the sheet halfway through baking.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon honey or Lyle's golden syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup toasted pecans, optional
- Mix butter, cream, cocoa, and corn syrup over medium heat. Melt and stir till smooth. Take off heat.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour onto cake while the cake is still warm. After spreading, sprinkle nuts over top if desired. Let cool one hour at room temperature. Then refrigerate till icing sets, about another hour.
- For bonus points, serve with whipped cream and strawberries on the side for a rich take on strawberry shortcake.