Author Notes: My Grandma Mable made this for my birthday last year. The cake is chocolately, but not too intense - that's what the icing is for. This makes a 13x18 cake, so it's great for bringing to an event where dessert might be lacking. It's great with strawberries on the side. - Gibson2011
Makes one 13x18 cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt, room temp
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 2 egg yolks, room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil (can use some unsweetened applesauce in place of some of the oil)
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, yolks, and vanilla.
- In a saucepan, combine the semisweet chocolate, oil, water, cocoa, and butter. Cook over medium-low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients into hot chocolate mixture, just till combined. Whisk in the egg mixture until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased 13x18 baking sheet and bake for 18-20 till tester comes out clean.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or honey
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup toasted pecans, optional
- In saucepan, combine butter, cream, cocoa, and corn syrup over medium heat. Once smooth, remove from heat.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour onto cake while the cake is still warm. After spreading, sprinkle nuts over top if desired. Let cool one hour at room temperature. Then refrigerate till icing sets, about another hour.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!