If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like this BBQ sauce. Besides using up the surplus melons from the garden, it provides just the right amount of heat and sweet to the salty richness of grilled meats. Along with enhancing the flavor of steaks, it’s pretty darned tasty on ribs and chops as well. —Sherry K-Jazzy Gourmet
- 4 1 1/2-inch thick boneless ribeye or new york strip steaks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup diced, seedless watermelon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Remove steaks from the fridge and brush all sides with canola oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Allow to set, covered, at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the watermelon, ketchup, dry mustard, cumin, chili pepper flakes, honey, Worcestershire Sauce and lemon juice. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes, or until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup. Set aside.
- Heat grill to high. Place steaks on the grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn steaks over and cook, with the lid closed, for another 3 to 5 minutes for medium rare, 5 to 7 minutes for medium or 8 to 10 minutes for medium well. During the last few minutes of grilling, baste with sauce. Place steaks on a platter, baste with more sauce and cover loosely with aluminum foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with extra Watermelon BBQ Sauce
Orange You Glad?
A better, more carrot-y carrot cake
A more carrot-y carrot cake.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Recipe of the Day
A better basket.