Author Notes: Here is a simple & relatively healthy dessert recipe to use up that harvest fruit. It is an amalgam of recipes I made in the past. - we eat. happy.
For the Fruit:
- 3-4 apples, peeled, cored & diced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose or white spelt flour
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose or white spelt flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss apples, blueberries & flour in a bowl, then put into a 9" pie plate.
- Put oats, nuts, flour, butter & seasoning into a food processor & blitz until the butter is pea-sized. If you do not have a processor, use your hands to make a crumbly topping...This would be a good one to get the kids involved with!
- Spread the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake for 45 minutes. Let it rest for about 5 minutes & serve. As you know, ice cream, plain Greek yogurt or fresh whipped cream is always a dream for serving.