Author Notes: What to do with leftovers, or the "only one left" things you have in the fridge. The acorn squash added a sweetness to the quinoa mixture. You can use less onion if you like, or I think adding just a touch of garlic would also be good. You could probably add just about anything! - Vegegail
- 1 Acorn Squash
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (we used rainbow)
- 1 diced heirloom tomato
- 1/2 cup feta (goat) cheese
- 1 cup red onion
- 6 pieces "bacon" tempeh or eggplant
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil -- split
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- Cut your Acorn Squash in half, remove seeds --- brush with melted coconut oil, add salt and pepper to taste. Bake 400 degrees, 20 minutes or until soft
- Prepare quinoa per package directions.
- Prepare bacon. We used the tempeh bacon, but you could use what you prefer. Dice or crumble
- Using 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil, sauté the onions until soft. Add the spinach to wilt.
- Mix quinoa, bacon onion, spinach, feta cheese, tomato in a bowl and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When your acorn squash is tender, fill the center with the quinoa mix and serve. (we topped this with just a little parmesan cheese.