Author Notes: Make your own Tootsie Rolls at home using this easy recipe! There's no cooking or baking required and it's made using simple pantry staples, so enjoy them often!
Note: Powdered milk should be very fine. If your powdered milk is lumpy or coarse, run it through a food processor before using. - Heather Baird
Makes 22-24 pieces of candy
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
- Wax paper
- In a large bowl, combine honey, cocoa powder and vanilla using a whisk. Add the melted butter and whisk until well incorporated. Add in the powdered sugar and pinch of salt; whisk again until well combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in the instant milk powder ¼ cup at a time until a dough forms. When you can no longer stir the mixture with a spoon, knead it with your hands. Keep adding in milk powder until a firm dough forms. You may not have to use all the milk powder. The finished dough should be firm and a little sticky but not so sticky that you can’t handle it. Roll the dough into a ball and place on waxed paper lightly sprayed with cooking oil. Let dough rest uncovered on the wax paper for 5-10 minutes. As the candy stands it will relax from a ball shape into a disc. Cut candy into ¾-inch strips and then into 2-inch lengths. If candy sticks to the knife, spray it with cooking oil or coat it with butter.
- Cut wax paper into 3 ½ x 5 inch pieces. Wrap candies with the wax paper pieces. Store candies in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!