If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by Antonia James' modification of chocolate fantasy brownie bites. http://www.food52.com/recipes/8074_chocolate_fantasy_brownie_bites She posted a suggested modification--adding 2 tablespoons of flour--to turn the brownie bites into cookies. I wanted to get the taste of dark chocolate infused with orange, and I knew that the liquid I added in the form of orange juice would require more flour. So I've played with the recipe and made these luscious dark chocolate chewy cookies that have the unmistakable flavor and aroma of orange through and through. The Chinese 5 spice powder adds a fun twist, and you can use it or not at your pleasure. - drbabs
Makes about 24 cookies
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered espresso
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch (~1/8 teaspoon) Chinese 5 spice powder, optional
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- zest of one large orange
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Whisk together flour, espresso powder, cocoa, Chinese 5 spice powder (if using) and salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a large heavy pot over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove pan from heat and whisk in granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking after each addition until incorporated, then add orange extract, zest and juice till incorporated. Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Heat oven to 350. When the oven is heated, scoop tablespoon sized balls of dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (The cookies spread a little bit.) Bake for 15-17 minutes, reversing cookie sheet halfway through, till the tops are dry and beginning to crack slightly. (Because my oven is so temperamental, I always bake one sheet at a time. I fit 9 cookies on a large cookie sheet. It took 3 batches to bake all of these.)
- Let cookies cool on sheet for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.