If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Don't let making homemade pastry intimidate you. It takes only a few minutes to put together pastry dough in the food processor. This pate sucree pastry dough is rich and sweet, much like a cookie dough. I have enhanced it with vanilla bean extract and orange zest to make a truly tasty pastry. You may also PRESS this pastry into a 12" tart pan if you don't like rolling out pastry dough. The apple filling is simply flavored with cinnamon, allspice and just a pinch of nutmeg. My favorite Fall apples are Honeycrisp as they stay crisp and sweet/tart when baked. - Lorrainesfav
PATE SUCREE PASTRY:
- 2- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, more as needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yoilks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, cold, more if needed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 5 medium Honeycrisp apples
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- TOPPING: White coarse sparkling sugar and vanilla sugar
- 1. MAKE THE PASTRY: Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to blend. 2. Add the butter pieces and pulse just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 3. Add the egg yolks, vanilla and zest and pulse a few times to blend. 4. Add the milk and pulse to coarse crumbs that hold together when pinched. If too dry pulse in a tablespoon at a time of more milk. 5. Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Push into a ball and knead the dough a few times. Form into a flat disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. Makes one 14" circle for a galette or one 12' tart pastry. 6. MAKE THE APPLE FILLING WHILE THE DOUGH IS RESTING: Add the lemon juice to a large mixing bowl. Peel, core and cut each apple into 8 slices; toss in the mixing bowl with the lemon juice. Toss in the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cornstarch, vanilla and salt. Drain excess juices before adding to the pastry. 7. PUT IT ALL TOGETHER: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry dough to a 14" circle. Put the scraps aside for cutouts to decorate the top. Transfer the pastry to the parchment lined sheet pan (it will hang over temporarily). Mound the apples in the middle of the dough leaving about a 3" border. Fold the dough over the apples and pinch to flatten. Reroll the dough scraps and cut out with seasonal shapes. Press on top of the apples and on the dough. Finish by sprinkling the top of the galette with coarse sugar and vanilla sugar. Bake 45 minutes or until the apples are bubbling and the pastry is dark golden brown. Cool and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.