If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh pears that are juicy but not too soft work best here! Bartletts are my pear of choice but I'm sure any type would be delicious. —gabsimonelouise
Food52 Review: This five-ingredient sorbet is so simple to make, and even more delightful to eat. After just a few minutes on the stove and a few hours in the fridge, the sorbet sets up perfectly and is ready to serve. The flavors lend well to experimentation (a touch more lemon? a dash of ginger?) but at the end of the day the original is pretty hard to beat. —figgypudding
- 4 Ripe but firm medium-sized pears
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Core the pears and cut into 1-inch dice. No need to peel them. Put them in a pot with 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium heat until soft and mashable, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a saucepan. Put the remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar, and vanilla bean into the saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Remove vanilla bean from saucepan and place into a large bowl. Pour the sugar/water mixture, lemon juice and the cooked pear mixture into a blender and blend until smooth, then pour into the large bowl. Let mixture cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, 3-4 hours.
- Once chilled, remove vanilla bean from the bottom of the bowl. Process the sorbet in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. This sorbet easily keeps for two weeks in the freezer without getting too hard or losing flavor! Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla