If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This incredibly fragrant granola combines the warm flavors of vanilla and brown butter in a breakfast treat that tastes like it could pass off as dessert! The simple list of ingredients allows the flavor of the vanilla to take center stage while the brown butter adds depth and crunch to the finished product.
Using the whole vanilla bean adds an extra element to this granola as any remaining pieces of pod crisp up in the oven, adding extra texture and flavor. This is also a great way to use up any extra vanilla pods left from previous creations! - kangarhubarb
Makes five cups of granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue to heat until butter turns brown and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Combine sugar, vanilla bean pieces, and salt in a small food processor or clean coffee or spice grinder and pulse until no large vanilla bean pieces remain.
- Add sugar mixture and vanilla to brown butter and stir to combine. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until sugar is dissolved.
- Add oats and almonds to brown butter vanilla syrup and stir to coat.
- Spread oat mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes until deep golden brown, stirring halfway.
- Allow granola to cool, add chopped dates, and store in an airtight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Shop Spring Cleaning
Bake yourself breakfast.