If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake is so tender and buttery with distinct vanilla bean flavors. It can be made as several mini loaves, or a large loaf or bundt cake. It's perfect for freezing and dressing up for last minute company. Try it anytime with a cup of java or soothing vanilla lavender tea. - Bohdanna
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/3 cup sugar, superfine preferred
- 3 ounces egg whites, room temperature (about 3 extra large eggs)
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, high quality
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 tablespoons butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, medium chopped
- 1 cup orange-mango jam
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier orange liqueur-optional
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vanilla bean ice cream, best quality
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray mini loaf pans (or large loaf pan or large bundt cake pan) with baking spray and set aside.
- Split the vanilla bean diagonally and scrape out the vanilla seeds. Place vanilla seeds with the sugar in a small bowl and mix together with your fingers. Place in food processor and mix until the vanilla seeds are blended with the sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the egg whites, half and half and the vanilla extract until blended and set aside.
- In an electric mixer bowl fitted with paddle, beat together the flour, the blended vanilla sugar, salt, and baking powder for about 1/2 minute.
- Add in the butter and 1/2 of the egg whites mixuture, and blend. Raise to medium speed and beat for another minute.
- Slowly add in little additions the remaining egg white mixture, scrapping bowl from time to time. Batter may look curdled.
- Pour into the mini pans or larger pan, sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly over the batter, and bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on rack to cool.
- In a medium pan, heat the orange-mango jam with the water and the optional Grand Marnier until it liquifies and comes to a boil.
- Using a pastry brush spread the jam over the warm cake. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream, or with a cup of relaxing vanilla-lavendar tea, or cup of fresh java.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.