If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my husbands favorite dishes. It is also a wonderful way to get him to eat broccoli. My Grandson lived with us for a year and I was used to cooking larger meals. After he left, it took me some time to get back to cooking for 2. I happened upon this recipe one day when I was searching the fridge for something to cook for dinner. I found leftover chicken and some broccoli in the freezer. Add my stale bread. Voila!! I had a delicious casserole on the table in no time. While this recipe serves 6 it is very easy to decrease or increase the portions as needed for smaller or larger dinner guests. Of course any veggie can be used instead of broccoli such as green peas, carrots, celery, etc. This recipe is great even next day. Leftover leftovers. —Angela Smith
- 3 cups diced leftover chicken or lemon herb rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups brooccoli cuts, steamed lightly
- 1/2 cup sliced canned mushrooms, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 1/2 cups cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Itallian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Rotini pasta, cooked al dente, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter for buttering casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter casserole dish with 2 tablespoons butter.
- In large mixing bowl combine diced chicken, broccoli cuts, mushroom, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, ¼ cup milk melted butter, Italian seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. Stir lightly until combined. Add pasta and mix well. Pour into a 4 quart buttered casserole dish. Set aside.
Cheesy Crumb Topping
- 12 stale multi-grain Italian loaf slices
- 6 Sharp American Cheese Slices
- Place cheese slices while still in wrappers in freezer while you prepare the bread.
- Take the bread slices and tear into pieces and place in mixing bowl. Each slice should be torn into 4 to 6 pieces
- When all are torn remove cheese slices from freezer and unwrap.
- . Place ½ of torn bread pieces in food processor. Take 3 slices cheese, tear into 6 pieces and place on top of bread. Process for 1 to 2 minutes until bread is chopped into fine crumbs and cheese is integrated into crumbs. Remove from processor and repeat with remaining bread and cheese.
- After all bread and cheese is processed, spread crumb mixture over prepared casserole. Crumb topping should be about 1 to 2 inches thick on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Variations include substituting any vegetables for broccoli such as carrots, green peas, etc. Celery can be substituted for mushrooms or added for an extra layer of flavor. Experiment and make it your family's own.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Is your cilantro contaminated?