If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These days, with deadlines looming, I've been desperate for quick recipes using ingredients at hand. Chana Masala has been on this list for years, a recipe inspired by Molly Wizenberg and massaged over the years to satisfy this household. Just lately it's been feeling a little one note, so on a whim, I added diced sweet potato for a happy new twist. Add serrano based on your own preference for heat, or omit it if you like. Serve this with rice, naan or grilled flatbreads. - MrsWheelbarrow
Serves 2 with leftovers for lunch
- 1 cup diced sweet potato (one medium large)
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced (to taste, an entire chile is spicy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 pint crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup rough chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, full fat
- Microwave the sweet potato with 1/4 cup water for three minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the clarified butter in a three quart lidded stockpot or saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until well caramelized.
- Add the coriander, cumin, cardamom, garam masala, and ginger and toast in the butter and onions for a minute or two.
- Add the serrano and cook for two minutes until it has wilted a bit.
- Add the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, salt, and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down to a slow simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cover. Stir in the yogurt and cilantro and cook for five more minutes, or until piping hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Go strawberries, it's sherbet day.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Rock the roast.
Be shelf smart.
This is poppin'.