If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Marie-Hélène famous custardy apple cake in Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan, I wanted a cake that was a bit more American and a bit more decadent. How did I turn a French cake into an American abomination? Why I added whiskey and a streusel topping of course. One bite and I am pretty sure even the French would approve. - Sheela Prakash
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
- In a bowl combine flour and spices.
- Cut in cold butter with a fork or fingers until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add in brown sugar and walnuts. Set aside.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinches salt
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey whiskey (or whiskey of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch springform pan with non-stick spray and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs until foamy.
- Add sugar and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in whiskey and vanilla.
- Whisk in half of the flour mixture followed by half of the melted butter. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and butter.
- Using a rubber spatula, folding in apple chunks.
- Pour batter into pan and even out with spatula.
- Sprinkle streusel on top of batter.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cake and remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls