If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was so excited to see your best broiled steak recipe contest. Steak is one of my favorite foods and while barbecuing outside is ideal for some, it is one of the few barbecued meats that actually benefits from the broiler. Why? Because you can control the heat and it won't burst into flames when you put the lid down, run inside and came back out to find fat has dripped down into the flames and set your beautiful piece of meat aflame.This is a recipe my dad used to make when I was a kid. He is recently deceased (cancer) but his spirit lives on each time I eat this and think of him. He used to rub the entire steak in a liberal dosing of pure yellow mustard, then add salt and pepper. I have updated it a bit, by substituting dry mustard and changing the spicing a bit. But its still every inch his recipe. The key is to buy a New York roast and cut it yourself into nice 2 1/2 inch slabs (or have your butcher do it.) —coffeefoodwritergirl
Serves 2-4 depending on hungriness of eaters
- 2 pieces New York Steak (2 1/2 inch thick - trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons powdered mustard
- 2 teaspoons powdered garlic
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper (course)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Let steaks come to room temperature (if cold) and pre-heat broiler. Make sure rack is set so that steaks are about 8 inches from broiler.
- Sprinkle 1/2 Tablespoon powdered mustard on each side of each steak; press in
- Sprinkle each side of steak with: 1/2 tsp. powdered garlic; 1/2 tsp. salt; 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt and 1 tsp. course ground pepper. Press pepper in.
- Broil approximately 8-10 per side for medium rare. Reduce oven to 500 degrees. Set steaks in middle rack and let cook an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Take out; let rest for 10 minutes; then slice on the diagonal and serve. Great with garlic green beans and mashed potatoes.
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.