If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I fell in love with this fermented, tart, tangy, fizzy drink that uses sweet tea as it's base and decided that pomegranate would be a perfect fruit juice to use as added flavor. You can use fresh pom juice , but since poms are not available all year around I used bottled juice (unsweetened). Kombucha is a healthy drink full of beneficial enzymes and vitamins (like lots of B12 and B6). If you haven't tried it before, they carry many flavors at Whole Foods and at health food stores. - dymnyno
Makes 1 gallon
- 1 gallon spring water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 8 teabags, black, green or a combo
- 1 SCOBY , the mother kombucha, the starter
- 9 ounces pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- sliver of fresh ginger for each quart.
- In a large pot bring the water to a boil and drop in the tea bags and sugar. Turn off the heat and steep for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir to blend in the sugar.
- Cool completely and then pour the sweet tea into a gallon jar. (or larger)
- Carefully place the mother in the jar. Cover the top with several thickness of cheesecloth. (keep out bugs, like fruit flies)
- Put in a dark place like a cupboard for at least 6 or more days until the tea has fermented. The warmth will dictate how fast the fermentation takes. Start tasting After Day 5 start to check for desired tartness and fermentation. Depending on the warmth fermentation can take longer than 7 days. It's important to keep checking the taste. When it is fermented a second "baby" will have formed.
- Remove the mother and baby . You may strain the tea to remove the strings from the fermentation process and to clarify the tea. Into 4 quart jars pour about 2 1/2 ounces of pomegranate 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and add a sliver of ginger and then pour enough tea to fill up to about an inch from the top of the jar, Tighten the lid and put back in a dark space for about 2 days.
- After the fermentation is completed, keep refrigerated .
- *****Be sure to keep the mother and child and keep them in a bowl or jar with some of the fermented tea. You will use it again for your next batch, or you can give one away.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls