Author Notes: This recipe started as an attempt to replicate at home the breakfast potatoes served at the Brother Juniper's restaurant in Memphis, but it took off in a direction of its own. Anything I cooked for the crowd I was running with then had to satisfy carnivores, vegans, kosher- and halal-keepers, plus the lactose- and gluten-intolerant and this one passed all around with flying colors. - BadExampleMan
Serves 4 but scales up as needed
- 4 medium-largish potato
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Chop the potatoes into 1/2-inch chunks, and finely dice the onion.
- Put the potatoes and onion into a large cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle on the salt and spices, and drizzle the olive oil. Mix with your hands until well-coated (the potatoes, not your hands, although the latter is inevitable).
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. At the halfway point, stir the mixture with a spatula so it browns evenly.