If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Shandies are typically summer drinks. The general formula is 1 part beer to 1 part soda - lemon-lime, gingerale, etc... My version is made for winter. It combines the chocolate and coffee flavors of porter with the holiday flavors of a pomander (the classic clove-studded orange you probably made sometime in your childhood). The resulting drink tastes like the holidays with the warm clove spice and orange soda adding a bit of cheer and brightness to the bold but heavy porter. Cheers! —hardlikearmour
Makes 1 1/4 cups syrup, enough for 10 to 12 cocktails
- 2 medium to large oranges
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water (optional)
- Thoroughly wash oranges. Remove zest, avoiding the white pith, and set aside. Cut oranges in half and juice them. Strain the juice, reserving and refrigerating 6 tablespoons (3 oz). Transfer remaining juice to a liquid measure, and add water to total 1 cup of liquid.
- Combine water, sugar, orange zest, and cloves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, swirling occasionally to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to come to room temperature.
- Pour syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a jar or other suitable storage vessel. Stir in vanilla extract and orange blossom water. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Pomander Porter Shandy (serves 2)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (1 1/2 to 2 oz) Pomander Syrup
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz) freshly pressed and strained orange juice
- 1 12-oz bottle of Porter (one with nice chocolate notes)
- 10 to 12 oz seltzer
- 2 oranges wheels, each studded with several cloves (optional garnish)
- Divide ingredients equally between 2 16-oz glasses, starting with the smaller amounts of syrup and seltzer. Taste and add more syrup or seltzer if desired. Garnish with orange wheel if desired.
- If making a larger batch, combine the ingredients in a pitcher instead.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cocktail
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.