If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beer and chocolate are a winning combination, and this is evident in these truffles. The bitterness of the beer complements the chocolate perfectly and a pinch of flaky sea salt makes all of the flavors pop. Using a good rich stout ensures that the beer flavor is noticeable, but a lighter beer can certainly be substituted. - kangarhubarb
Food52 Review: I loved this recipe. It was so simple and the beer added a great kick to the truffles! A lot of times recipes can make melting/using chocolate seem difficult and I thought this one was very well written and east to follow. I would definitely recommend this! - Kate Robertson
Makes approximately two dozen
- 8 ounces good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup stout beer (or beer of choice)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- Cocoa powder, for rolling
- Place chopped chocolate in a medium sized heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- Bring beer to a simmer over medium-high heat and reduce to about 1/4 cup. Add heavy cream and return to a boil.
- Pour hot cream and beer mixture over chopped chocolate and allow to sit 1 to 3 minutes. Stir until all chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Part way through cooling, sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt over mixture and gently stir it in (you want the salt to remain as flakes in the truffle base and not dissolve through the mixture).
- Scoop 1-inch balls of ganache, roll between your palms until smooth, and coat in cocoa powder. Store in the refrigerator.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.