Author Notes: John, an IT guy at my firm, made this irrestible trifle for a potluck lunch. I had a bite and I was in love. This recipe is as easy or hard as you want it to be. On the easy end, it will require a few store-bought ingredients and be assembled in about 15 minutes. If you want to make EVERYTHING from scratch, well...it will take longer. The amounts are also flexible, so you modify to your own preference. Either way, it is a fantastic dessert. - HalfPint
- 5 cups prepared chocolate cake or brownies, cut/broken into 1-2" chunks
- 4.5 cups chocolate pudding
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped to stiff-ish peaks
- 2-3 cups toffee candy bits, like Health Bar or Skor, or homemade buttercrunch toffee
- cocoa powder or chocolate shavings or sprinkles, for garnish
- In a large bowl or trifle dish, lay down a single layer of cake/brownies. Next add a layer of pudding. Next, scatter 1 cup of the toffee bits. Next, layer on the whipped cream. Repeat until you use up all the ingredients, leaving enough whipped cream for the top. I like a nice thick layer of whipped cream at the top.
- Garnish the top with a dusting of cocoa powder or sprinkle with chocolate shavings or sprinkles. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.