If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Homemade marshmallows aren't only delicious but super easy to make. Spiked with a dark stout, covered in chocolate and topped with crushed pretzels they bring the time honored pub classic into a delicious treat. The perfect grown up marshmallow. —bethmichelle
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup Guinness, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- crushed pretzels for garnish
- Open beer and allow to go completely flat, about an hour. Top speed up the flattening time you can whisk beer in a mixing bowl to remove bubbles.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of a loaf pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners’ sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup beer, and set aside to soften.
- In a saucepan heat sugar, corn syrup, 1/2 beer, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium and bring mixture to a boil. Cook WITHOUT STIRRING! until a candy thermometer registers 245F
- Remove pot from heat and pour mixture over the gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- With an electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until mixture is nearly tripled in volume, thick and a pale white, about 10-12 minutes.
- In separate mixing bowl with beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold stiff peaks. Add egg whites and vanilla into sugar mixture and beat until just combined.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and sift some confectioners sugar evenly over top.
- Chill marshmallow, uncovered, until firm, at least four hours.
- When marshmallows are set, heat chocolate and oil over medium heat in a double boiler until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into even squares.
- Dip marshmallows in melted chocolate and place on parchment paper. Top with crushed pretzels.
- Chill marshmallows until chocolate has hardened.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
Be a Little Saucy
Chicken dinners with slammin' sauces
It's all about the sauce.
Recipe of the Day
It's time to travel.
Fish for your lunch.