Author Notes: Apples, Cherries and Almond Meal add a healthy kick to these hearty muffins. The pear and slivered almonds on top make them that much more delicious and fulfilling for breakfast - Amy Stafford @ A Healthy Life For Me
- 1 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup +2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cups sour cream or plain yogurt (I used light sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or DAVE's vanilla & coffee syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4" dice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4" dice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners and spray with baking spray. Line a tray with almond slices and sit in oven for 4-5 minutes until almonds are just starting to toast, but not brown. Remove pan and let cool.
- Place flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside
- In a mixer beat 1/2 cup of the butter and sugar until creamed. Add one egg at a time until mixed. Scrape down sides of mixer and add sour cream, zest and vanilla blend.
- Add flour ingredients and mix until just blended (do not over-mix) Remove bowl from mixer and by hand add apple and cherries, mixing.
- Spoon mixture into each cup filling about 2/3 of the way.
- In a small bowl combine, pear, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter and almonds and combine. Place on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center of a muffin comes out clean.