Author Notes: These ravioli are equally good with the lamb-tomato sauce I have provided a recipe for and with a good olive oil and crushed garlic. In the olive oil and garlic version, the flavor of the leeks is the primary taste. In the lamb-tomato sauce version, the leek compliments the lamb sauce. - clintonhillbilly
- 3 leeks, chopped finely
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- fresh pasta or ravioli wrappers
- good quality olive oil (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- a few drops of truffle oil (optional)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Make your favorite fresh pasta recipe. While dough is resting in the refrigerator, make the filling.
- In a skillet, heat butter. Add chopped leeks and sautee for several minutes, until soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine leeks, ricotta, egg, basil, and thyme. Grate nutmeg into mixture.
- If using fresh pasta, roll out by hand or with a pasta maker into 3-4 inch thick ribbons. On a pasta ribbon laid out on a cutting board or cookie sheet, place dollops of filing one and a half inches apart. The dollops should be somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. Lay another pasta ribbon over the first and press down around the fillings to expel trapped air. Using a ravioli press or a knife, cut into square or round raviolis.
- Boil salted water. Cook ravioli for 5 minutes. Drain and dress with crushed garlic, a good quality olive oil, grated parmesan, and a few drops of truffle oil.
- 1/3 pound lamb stew meat
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a saucepan or deep skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions, garlic, and lamb. Brown lamb on all sides.
- Add crushed tomatoes, herbs, and seasoning. Simmer until lamb is soft, about an hour.
- Stir in cream.
- Spoon sauce over cooked ravioli and garnish with grated parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks