Author Notes: Every year, I look forward to blood oranges arriving at the farmer's market just so I can make this salad. The orange looks like a bright jewel nestled in the lettuce, and its flavor is a ray of sunshine on these cold winter days. I usually make a serving at a time, and if I'm making salad for more that one person, I make each bowl separately so I can get the balance of ingredients right. - adwillis
- 1 blood orange
- 1 handful pistachio nuts, roasted, unsalted
- 3-5 red leaf lettuce leaves
- crumbled French feta
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- cracked pepper
- olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Wash, spin, and chop the lettuce. Place it in the bowl.
- Slice the blood orange into 12 slices. I quarter the orange, then cut each quarter into three slices. Cut the orange fruit from the rind and drop it onto the lettuce
- Sprinkle the pistachio nuts and feta onto the oranges and lettuce.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad, then a pinch of salt and cracked pepper to taste.