Author Notes: I think the first dessert I ever made that didn't come out of a box was an apple tart with cream cheese. I love the recipe and make it frequently for company. I believe it comes from the Joy of Baking. I decided to put a new spin on it with persimmons, almond flavor throughout and a super simple easy crust. - inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This is a simple and easy recipe that brings delicious results. As inpatskitchen promised, the crust comes together very easily and is one of those we call “melt in your mouth.” You might think there is too much almond extract, but I assure you, it's just right to gently perfume each part of the tart and add a unique touch to the persimmon flavor. I love how tossing persimmon slices and almonds in sugar caramelizes them while baking -- and how easily the recipe would adapt to any fruit that's in season. - Kukla
Makes one 9-inch tart
For the tart crust:
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, salt and almond extract. Add the flour and stir until all is well combined.
- With your clean fingers, press the dough into the bottom and up the sides a little, into a 9 inch spring form pan. Cover and chill the the pan for about thirty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and remove the pan from the fridge. Prick the crust with the tines of a fork and then bake for 20 minutes. Set aside while you make the filling.
For the tart:
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 medium Fuyu permissons
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- With an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla, and one teaspoon almond extract until creamy.
- Peel one persimmon and puree it in a mini food processor or blender. Stir the purée into the cream cheese mixture.
- Peel the remaining 3 persimmons and slice them as you would for apple pie.
- Mix the 1/4 cup sugar with the remaining teaspoon of almond extract and then toss the sliced persimmons, sugar mixture and sliced almonds together.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the tart shell and top with the sugared persimmon slices.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cream cheese mixture is set. Cool and serve at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons