Author Notes: Oh, No! Your persimmon is all mushy. For the compost? WAIT, flavor butter with persimmons & capers for a savory topping for fish, pancakes, and steaks.
Every winter my friend in Gifu sends me a huge box filled with the most perfect Fuyu persimmons. I once asked, "Why persimmons?" She explained as a young girl she would walk home from school through the hills lined with persimmon trees whose leaves had already fallen and the shimmering globes would sparkle as the sun was setting. Now when the box arrives, I know... - BoulderGalinTokyo
Serves about 8
- 1 cup Persimmon pulp, texture of applesauce, about 1 1/2 Hachiyas or 1 Fuyu
- 1 cup butter, softened
- sweetener of choice, see Note
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 4 tablespoons capers
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, chopped, optional
- 1 clove/person garlic chips, optional
- steak, your preference
- Remove any seeds from persimmons, and chop any large chunks or stringy parts. Smash with a fork. (You can use a hand-held blender if you are picky about such stuff.)
- When the butter is soft enough to mix, add the persimmon pulp and sweetener. Mix well. This Persimmon Butter is great on muffins and pancakes.
- Add garlic and black pepper, mix well. Add thyme, if using.
- Run your knife through the capers to chop, but not too small. Add to the persimmon butter. Cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Saute garlic slices in the oil until crisp.
- Cook steaks to your preference.
- (Remember this is butter which will melt. Serve at the table or one plate at a time) Scoop in a rounded spoon Persimmon Caper Butter on top of sizzling steaks. Grate fresh pepper over top of steak. Serve Garlic Chips by the side of the steak, if using, or sprinkle on top.
- Note* Sweetener of Choice: I like agave, honey or a liquid diet sweetener, about 3 Tablespoons depending on the sweetness of your persimmons. Or powdered sugar, about 2 1/2 tablespoons. You can use granulated or brown sugar, but first you need to melt the sugar in the persimmon pulp, then add the butter (and who wants to wash an extra pan?)
- Note* on Herb--Rosemary goes with steak, but didn't work here because it overwhelms the persimmon, parsley the same. Thyme worked best, but maybe a little Italian parsley or sage would be OK.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons