If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My recipe is derived from Kathy at Lunch Box Bunch, who names the breakfast tofu scramble a "hearty, savory veg-classic." Out of eggs one morning and too cold to run outside to the corner bodega, I adapted her recipe to fit the ingredients I had on hand.
This Spiced Citrus Tofu Veggie Scramble won me over fair and square. It is fantastic. The silken tofu was so light and airy, producing a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth effect. The orange juice, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce yielded a very tempered acidity, and the light spice provided flavor without overpowering in the least. Put it this way: even though the scramble has hints of tumeric and cumin, this is NOT an Indian curry dish. It is 100% breakfast appropriate. A bountiful assortment of veggies add a wonderful flavor and nutrient boost to the piquant protein, plus a lovely crunch thanks to the kale and carrots. All wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla, this scramble is the perfect way to start your day. I enjoyed the tofu veggie scramble wrap plain, but you could definitely serve with a side of salsa. To keep the recipe fresh, feel free to mix it up by incorporating seasonal veggies or another kind of cheese (vegan or regular.) - KvellintheKitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 15 ounces silken tofu, smashed
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup kale, thinly sliced with ribs removed
- feta cheese
- whole-wheat tortillas
- salsa (optional)
- Prepare tofu, squeezing out as much excess tofu liquid as possible. (This can be achieved by wrapping tofu in a paper towel and microwaving for 1-2 minutes).
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, and about half the amounts of soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, tumeric, cumin and a dash of pepper. Saute until the onions have translucent edges and the carrots have softened, about 5 minutes.??
- Add in the remaining amounts of the seasonings, along with the tofu, orange juice and orange zest (or orange juice concentrate). Saute for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, cover off so the excess liquid evaporates.??
- Taste-test the mixture and modify the spices as needed.
- When tofu is just about cooked and all the excess liquid has been absorbed or steamed off, add in spinach and kale. Saute until veggies wilt.
- Remove pan from heat. Fold in cheese, if desired. Transfer scramble to a large bowl.
- In the same pan, heat a light coating of olive oil from a spritzer (or cooking spray). Add tortillas, one at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until tortilla browns. Flip and cook for same amount on the other side. Spoon scramble into warm tortillas, and serve with salsa if desired.
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.