Author Notes: My recipe is derived from Kathy at Lunch Box Bunch, who names the breakfast tofu scramble a "hearty, savory veg-classic." Out of eggs one morning and too cold to run outside to the corner bodega, I adapted her recipe to fit the ingredients I had on hand.
This Spiced Citrus Tofu Veggie Scramble won me over fair and square. It is fantastic. The silken tofu was so light and airy, producing a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth effect. The orange juice, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce yielded a very tempered acidity, and the light spice provided flavor without overpowering in the least. Put it this way: even though the scramble has hints of tumeric and cumin, this is NOT an Indian curry dish. It is 100% breakfast appropriate. A bountiful assortment of veggies add a wonderful flavor and nutrient boost to the piquant protein, plus a lovely crunch thanks to the kale and carrots. All wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla, this scramble is the perfect way to start your day. I enjoyed the tofu veggie scramble wrap plain, but you could definitely serve with a side of salsa. To keep the recipe fresh, feel free to mix it up by incorporating seasonal veggies or another kind of cheese (vegan or regular.) - KvellintheKitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 15 ounces silken tofu, smashed
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup kale, thinly sliced with ribs removed
- feta cheese
- whole-wheat tortillas
- salsa (optional)
- Prepare tofu, squeezing out as much excess tofu liquid as possible. (This can be achieved by wrapping tofu in a paper towel and microwaving for 1-2 minutes).
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, and about half the amounts of soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, tumeric, cumin and a dash of pepper. Saute until the onions have translucent edges and the carrots have softened, about 5 minutes.??
- Add in the remaining amounts of the seasonings, along with the tofu, orange juice and orange zest (or orange juice concentrate). Saute for 4-5 minutes over medium heat, cover off so the excess liquid evaporates.??
- Taste-test the mixture and modify the spices as needed.
- When tofu is just about cooked and all the excess liquid has been absorbed or steamed off, add in spinach and kale. Saute until veggies wilt.
- Remove pan from heat. Fold in cheese, if desired. Transfer scramble to a large bowl.
- In the same pan, heat a light coating of olive oil from a spritzer (or cooking spray). Add tortillas, one at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until tortilla browns. Flip and cook for same amount on the other side. Spoon scramble into warm tortillas, and serve with salsa if desired.