If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In its most basic form, Harissa, a North African chile sauce, is made with dried chiles, garlic, olive oil and spices. I’ve added lemon juice, zest and red wine vinegar to brighten flavors, and tomato paste for body. I also opted for dried chiles that fall into the “sweet and complex” category rather than smoky or spicy. A blend of ancho, mulato and guajillo chiles provides a fruity base with intriguing depth of flavor. I've adapted this recipe from the New York Times. - Kitchen Konfidence
Makes 1 cup
- 5 medium dried chile peppers, stems removed*
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Soak chile peppers in vinegar for 30 – 45 minutes (until soft). Add chiles, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and olive into a food processor and process until smooth.
- In a small frying pan, lightly toast coriander and fennel seeds (no need to add oil). Grind up spices with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Add ground coriander and fennel seeds to the food processor with pepper, allspice, nutmeg, salt and tomato paste. Process until smooth (drizzle in extra olive oil if the mixture seems too thick). Season to taste with additional kosher salt.
- * I used a mixture of 1 ancho chile, 1 mulato chile and 3 guajillo chiles, and my Harissa turned out complex and flavorful (not spicy)! Feel free to experiment with different types of dried chile peppers. Dried chipotle peppers will give your Harissa a smokier flavor. Chile de arbol will bump up the heat factor.
Recipe of the Day
Grilled Brie Sandwiches With Honey, Pistachio, and Kale Pesto
Shop Spring Cleaning
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart