If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: How do you make a soup that has a somewhat nutty taste to it, without actually using nuts? You use ingredients like chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), whole wheat flour and flax seed! I also wanted to make it as healthy, cheap and tasty as possible so I made my own noodles and prepared the chickpeas myself. I like being able to control all the ingredients, know exactly what is in them, and avoid any BHT (from the can) or extra sodium.
If you want to save time, you can use store-bought pasta (but I don’t think there are any whole wheat ones with flax in them :-) and canned chickpeas.
This soup tastes even better the next day, and could easily be made in a crockpot. - lifeofcolors
Makes 7-8 cups
Whole Wheat and Flax Noodles
- 1 cup flour (2 tablespoons ground flax seed, the rest whole wheat flour)
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch salt
- water as needed
- Combine flax seed, whole wheat flour, egg and salt in a medium bowl. Add and mix in 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until the dough is no longer sticky. (I live in a high altitude, dry place so I used about 5-6 spoonfuls. You probably won't need that many).
- Roll the dough out in a rectangle shape, as thin as you can. If it shrinks back, let it rest for about 10 minutes, then try again. Carefully roll it up like a jelly roll. Using a very sharp knife, cut it into 1/2 inch sections. Unroll the pieces, put unto a baking sheet with flour on it and let it rest/dry until you are ready to use it.
Roasted Chickpea Soup
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas (or one can of chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon medium onion diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pasta (from above recipe)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt to taste
- Soak and boil chickpeas according to package directions. (I soaked mine for 10 hours, then boiled/simmered them for about 1 1/2 hours. They came out about triple the size).
- Preheat oven to 350?. Mix together the chickpeas, onion, garlic, olive oil and rosemary in a soup pan. Pour them out unto a cookie sheet in a single layer. Roast mixture for about 30-45 minutes, until the chickpeas are lightly browned and crispy on the outside.
- Put the mixture back into the soup pan. Add water, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Maintain a slow boil for about 20 minutes.
- Add pasta, sage, and salt (if desired). Boil 5-10 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.