If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have eaten this pie...well for as long as I can remember because it's the only pie my dad will eat. Rich and chocolatey! Since my mom can't cook any more, it's now up to me to keep dad in "his" pie. - Granny G
Makes 9" deep dish pie
- 1 9" Deep Dish Pie Shell
- 2.5 cups Milk, 1/2 & 1/2 or combo of
- 3 tablespoons Hersheys Powdered Coco
- 1 cup Sugar
- 6 tablespoons Flour
- .5 teaspoons Salt
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1.5 teaspoons Vanilla
- Brown your store bought pie shell per instructions (or if you are up for it, make your own pie crust)
- In a cast iron skillet (or sauce pan) mix dry ingredients and milk until heated.
- Beat egg yolks and add to hot mixture (temper egg first)
- Add vanilla and butter and stir in.
- Pour into pie shell and refrigerate. Hint: if it is going to be in the refrigerator over night, I cover with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out.
- You can top with homemade meringue or do as we do and use whipped cream when serving. ENJOY!
- PLEASE MAKE SURE TO COOK UNTIL THICKENED TO DESIRED CONSISTENCY. THIS FILLING DOES NOT THICKEN AFTER BEING POURED INTO PIE SHELL!
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.