Author Notes: The classic sweet and spicy Indian tea, sure to make your home smell fantastic, and the number one way to bribe friends to come over in the wintertime. - One Tough Cookie
- 1 cup milk (or soy milk)
- 1 splash water
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pieces star anise
- 3 pieces allspice
- 1 "thumb" of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon loose-leaf black tea
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or more, to taste)
- Bash all the spices (minus the ginger) in a plastic bag with a rolling pin — or if you want to be classy about it, you can always use a mortar & pestle.
- Place all your ingredients — milk, water, spices (with ginger this time), tea, and sugar — into a large pot.
- Cook on med-high until boiling, then simmer for 5 minutes or until the milk has turned a milky-brown colour, like cafe au lait.
- Strain & sip!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea