If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom has been making this for holiday gifts for as long as I can remember. It became a holiday family tradition. Because it has so many steps, the whole family was able to get involved from the beginnning to the end. We always made more than enough and enjoyed the leftovers well past the new year. Over the years we have enjoyed experimenting with new flavors and textures but we always fall back on the original. I also included some additional flavors we have tried - It is a easy recipe to make your own. - BGCook
Makes 6 dozen
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinches salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Roast whole almonds for about 20 min., sliced almonds for 10 min. Cool.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 eggs with vanilla and almond extract. In a separate large bowl, mix flour, then add sugar, baking soda, salt and coconut. Add sliced almonds to flour mixture; then add egg mix to flour mixture. Mix well. Coarsely chop whole almonds and add to mixture. Mix well.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. Shape into oval shaped loaves. Grease a cookie sheet and place all three loaves on cookie sheet. Mix 1 egg and brush loaves with the egg before putting into oven. Bake at 350° F for 38 min.
- Cool for 5 min. Use electric knife to slice. Put slices back on cookie tin and bake for 20 min., remove from oven, turn slices and bake for another 20 min. on other side.
- Optional flavors: Orange: melt 2 oz. in microwave and add to mixture. Similarly, melt 2 oz. chocolate and add to mixture. Or add 1 tsp. powdered cinnamon. For other liquid flavorings, add 1 ½ tsp. Makes about 6 doz. Will last for about a month. Serve with coffee.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
The Power of the Punch Bowl
Garnish at your own risk.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Refined at Age Five
That was a close shave.