Author Notes: Coconut Butter is made from one simple ingredient, unsweetened, dried shredded coconut! Prepare to be amazed. The coconut butter cups are a fun twist on the classic chocolate peanut butter cup. Enjoy! - Ashley McLaughlin
Makes 1 cup coconut butter + 20 mini cups
- 3 cups unsweetened dried finely shredded/grated coconut [not flaked or chips]
- Add the coconut to a large food processor and turn on until it reaches a fully smooth-liquid state, about 5-10 minutes. It should easily drip from a spoon. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Store in a sealed jar in your pantry.
- The coconut butter will solidify below 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Simply reheat by scraping out the desired amount and melting in a pan over low heat until smooth. Or, scrape into a small bowl and place in the microwave for 10 second increments, until melted.
- tips: Be sure to use a fresh bag of coconut to ensure it hasn't dried out. Never add any liquid other than melted coconut oil to help move the process along. In more than 20 batches that I've made I've never needed to add coconut oil to help process into coconut butter. Do not use less than 3 cups of coconut in an 11c capacity food processor.
Vanilla Bean Coconut Butter Cups with Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 1 cup coconut butter, melted or freshly processed
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure cane sugar, optional
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, warmed
- 1 pinch fine grain sea salt
- Stir the peanut butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and pinch of sea salt together until smooth. Mixture will be thick.
- Add the melted coconut butter to your food processor, if not using a fresh batch, and turn on.
- Add the melted coconut oil and continue to process.
- Add the vanilla beans (discard the pod) and 1 tablespoon pure cane sugar [if using].
- Continue to process until the sugar has melted and the mixture is drippy.
- Line a mini muffin pan with 20 mini liners and add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla bean coconut butter to the bottom of each.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate peanut butter and flatten it slightly in between your fingers. Place on top of each cup.
- Top with 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons of the vanilla bean coconut butter and lightly tap the top of each cup with a spoon to level the ingredients.
- Place the pan in the freezer or fridge until hardened. Best if stored in a sealed container in the fridge.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!