Author Notes: This is a staple in the "single-mom-on-a-budget" kitchen. You can deglaze the saute pan with white wine if you have it around...if not...stock will do the trick. My son always adds a little soy sauce to give his some zip. - Southern Soup Kitchen
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls kale, very generous handfuls
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock, plus about 4 TBSP for kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of brown rice on high heat in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Sear the chicken thighs. Cover the saute pan and place it in oven(with chicken) and 1 TBSP chicken stock for about 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken thighs and set aside.
- In the same saute pan add the onions and garlic and saute for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.(If there is not enough fat in the pan, add some olive oil) Add 2 TBSP chicken stock to deglaze. Add the kale, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into about 1 inch pieces. When kale is bright green and tender, add the chicken and stir.
- Add the rice to the saute pan with the chicken and kale and combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast