If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a staple in the "single-mom-on-a-budget" kitchen. You can deglaze the saute pan with white wine if you have it around...if not...stock will do the trick. My son always adds a little soy sauce to give his some zip. —Southern Soup Kitchen
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls kale, very generous handfuls
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock, plus about 4 TBSP for kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of brown rice on high heat in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Sear the chicken thighs. Cover the saute pan and place it in oven(with chicken) and 1 TBSP chicken stock for about 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken thighs and set aside.
- In the same saute pan add the onions and garlic and saute for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat.(If there is not enough fat in the pan, add some olive oil) Add 2 TBSP chicken stock to deglaze. Add the kale, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into about 1 inch pieces. When kale is bright green and tender, add the chicken and stir.
- Add the rice to the saute pan with the chicken and kale and combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.