If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for browning the sausages
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or add another tablespoon of olive oil)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups french green lentils, rinsed
- 28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes (I use tetra-pack)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 chicken sausages (or substitute another kind of sausage)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- Heat the olive oil and bacon fat over medium heat in a large, heavy pot and add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Add a big pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, tomatoes and 4 cups water. Add the thyme and rosemary and a couple more pinches of salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary to cover the vegetables.
- Meanwhile brown the sausages in about a teaspoon of olive oil in a small pan and then slice them into quarter moons.
- When the lentils are just tender, taste the soup and add more salt if necessary. Add the kale and cook for about 3 minutes, until the kale is tender but still green. Stir in the sausage, make sure everything is heated through, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!